BMW Motorrad Malaysia has a couple of affordable 800cc bikes to be offered to the riders in Malaysia. The one that is very interesting is the BMW F 800 R that comes with liquid-cooled parallel twin with a capacity of 798 cc, 4-valve technology, DOHC engine that can maxes out 87bhp at low range of 8,000 RPM. The torque is rated at 86Nm @ 6,000 RPM. One particular distintive feature for a BMW naked/tourer bike is the use of dual size headlamp that looks different that other bike that we can see in the market but also a recognisable feature of the BMW bikes. The F 800 R is particularly interesting not because of the specs and quality of the bike only, but because this F 800 R is priced at RM46,888 (OTR excluding insurance). This level of price has never being thought of for a bike from BMW that is in 800cc category. Almost anyone in the market for a 700cc-800cc naked/tourer bike can fit this in their shopping list. One model that is available in Malaysia is the F 800 GS. It comes with the same engine but in different styling. GS stands for Gelände / straße which means off-road/on-road (by BMW Motorrad Malaysia page). So this F 800 GS can easily be taken for an urban ride or for a more tricky road somewhere other bikes can’t go. The F 800 GS is priced at a little higher that the R at RM59,888 (OTR excluding insurance). Is this the bike you will consider for 800cc category?
An overview of highlights of the new BMW F 800 R.
• Compact, sporty naked bike with high level of riding dynamics and agility.
• Liquid-cooled parallel twin with a capacity of 798 cc, 4-valve technology, DOHC cam follower valve drive and unique mass balancing.
• Output 64 kW/87 bhp at 8000 rpm, torque 86 Nm at 6000 rpm.
• Excellent pulling power for maximum riding fun on country roads.
• Manifold injection with electronic engine control.
• Torsionally stiff aluminium frame and dual swing arm.
• Dry weight/road-ready weight: 177/199 kg.
• Fuel tank positioned under seat for optimum centre of gravity.
• High-performance Brembo brake system, optionally with
BMW Motorrad ABS.
• Newly designed front side trim sections in body colour.
• Front mudguards in body colour.
• Spring of rear spring strut finished in red.
• Sport windshield in body colour (now as standard).
• White direction indicators (now as standard).
Source: BMW Motorrad Malaysia